Friday 22 November 2013

DNF Review: The Syndicate

The Syndicate
Author:  

Publication Date: July 9th 2012         
Publishers: Lands Atlantic Publishing 



For centuries, the Petrescu family has been protecting society from a danger that moves among the population undetected. Eighteen-year-old Vasi Petrescu has never had a problem carrying out his duty, but, when ordered to eliminate an eighteen-year-old girl, he is immediately taken out of his comfort zone.

The Syndicate has never targeted a female before, yet somehow this one has ended up on more than one hit list. Vasi would like to find out why, but there may not be time.

Now, he'll have to decide whether or not to keep her alive even if it means going against his own family.








I can't believe I tortured myself with The Syndicate for so long. It started off bad, but somewhere between the bad and 30% I started to enjoy it, BUT, past that 30%, it welcomed back the bad with welcoming hands. My initial percentage for books I'm not enjoying is always 50%, but it's safe to say I didn't get there. I managed 42%, and there is a specific reason as to why I stopped there.
1) The Syndicate has never heard of feminism.
2) It's never learnt of pacing, either.

It's also safe to say I had a ton of issues with The Syndicate, the main being the pacing, the plot, and characters and the writing style. Okay, so specifically was everything.

The pacing was okay in the beginning, but it picked up way too quickly, and just got worse and worse. We're given basic facts of what they are, who they are and what they do. It's iffy at best, especially when it comes to the Hybrids, there's no explanation whatsoever on what they are, or how they become. Nothing.
And then the main character, Vasi, who was sent to kill Riley, another focal character and "love" interest. Which they all originally thought was a guy, had an intense conversation over the fact that it can't be a girl's name...that ended up being a girl.
 
 

Now, this is where things get fun.
Vasi and Riley kiss at 40%, what's so bad about that, you ask? 1) He had no interest whatsoever apart from instant attraction, because you know, the norm. 2) They then proceed to sleep together.

Yes, you kiss a guy that was sent to kill you, that you A) don't even fucking know and then B) sleep with the guy that was sent to kill you that, oh, also called you the Devil beforehand.
I can't even.

I would've ate this shit up when I was fifteen. It just annoys me now.
The quote that made me bow out?


“I’m sorry,” she says, backing away. “I’m not normally a basket case. I don’t know why I get so weak around you.” 
 
Really? I mean, really?

The guy is also so humble.
 
"Unafraid to say it, I'm simply the smartest and most reliable of the Syndicate brothers, and therefore respected.

They are both supposed to be 18, yet make childish mistakes and choices, and sound and act like fifteen year olds.

Think it couldn't get any worse?
We meet Rosie, Vasi's younger sister in the beginning, whose basically 2D, and it sounds like Vasi himself is in love with her the way he talks about her and describes her. Creepy, vile and I might've puked in my mouth a little.
"I laugh, almost wanting to turn on the light just so I can get a better glimpse of her. She takes after our mother, with dark hair and chocolate eyes. She's also tall and athletic, but prefers to keep her nails refined as opposed to fighting beastly creatures like I do."
 
And...

"Feeling a need to relax and get out of my blood-smeared shit, I pull it over my head. She rolls her eyes. I say, "What? Is it too much hotness for you? Does your boyfriend not have these abs?"

1) Who actually notices that stuff?

2) Ew.
Then, we're also being talked down to for most of it.


"I find William Stafford's initials next to mine and put yesterdays date next to it. That stands for the day he died."

 
 
You're basically a paranormal hit man, you brought a body in yesterday, and put that exact date down next to the initials of the name the person you killed. What do you think it stands for?
So, here I am, sitting on my bed, writing a review for The Syndicate, drinking water and also I'm watching NCIS: Los Angeles because I love the show and it's awesome and then I'm moving onto another book because this ones writing style was exactly how I'm writing right now.
There's this little thing called show not tell, oh and then there's this other one called sometimes too much information is too much.

Every. Little. Thing. Breath. Move. Air. Smell. Taste.
Were told what he's eating for breakfast, every. single. time. Then what others are eating, too. I mean, I'm surprised we weren't told when he went to piss.

Oh wait. We were.
And that's basically the 42%, you're welcome.